Friday, January 13, 2012

It's all about Dessert Night!



In an effort to bring order and more than anything, rhythm, to our days, weeks, months, our dear friend recently trained in Simplicity Parenting came over, sat me down and helped me start sorting it out. The daily rhythm is particularly difficult for me to hold and she is a natural with that and so wonderful to work with so I was grateful for her generous offer.
Prior to this, my husband and I had sat down over tea and plotted out some weekly and monthly rhythms- being slow and selective with our choices in hopes of being able to stick to them.
I will post later about the daily rhythm our friend helped me create but now, the weekly rhythm:
Tuesday night is Dessert Night
Wednesday night is Game Night
Thursday is Breakfast for Dinner Night
Sunday is Family Afternoon Swim (at the indoor pool- not the river!)
Then, once a month we hold a Friends Potluck Night here at Noisy Cottage.
Our first official Dessert Night, I attempted a pie made with a little rice flour and tapioca flour mixture.
It looked beautiful but, alas, was not quite as tasty as I would have liked. Better luck next week!
But what really was lovely was this feeling of knowing what would come next- not in the scheme of the universe, of course, but in that gentle way of being able to let go knowing that it was Dessert Night and with that some small ritual for the day.
Thank goodness for the small ritual, woven into our days holding them finely together like a spider web here and there with space in between for surprises and change.
For this, I am truly grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment